Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Opening Day



Yesterday was opening day for the Cubs and the majority of the major league teams. The Cubs lost the first one 4-3 in 1o innings. My observations below:

The Good:
- Kosuke Fukudome looked liked an all-star and worth every penny the Cubs paid for him. When no one else could hit (the rest of the Cubs went 2 for 31), Fukudome was 3 for 3 with a double and a 3-run home run to tie up the game in the bottom of the 9th. Maybe the Brewers were throwing Japanese balls yesterday.
- Carlos Zambrano looked good pitching through the first 6 innings. He only gave up 3 hits and only walked 1.

The Bad:
- Carlos Zambrano left the game with tightness in his forearm, which means that the game was up to the bullpen.
- Besides Fukudome, nobody hit the ball.

The Part that makes me really mad:
- Kerry Wood looked horrible. He had an amazing spring training where he didn't walk a batter and then on his first pitch he hits Rickie Weeks with a pitch! Where did all his amazing control go? And then he goes on to give up 3 runs in the 9th inning. In a moment of frustration, I told Abbey that I was going to drop him from my fantasy team for giving me -1.5 points yesterday. She told me that was the one player I can't drop because it is one of 5 players she actually knows and he is her "favorite."

A very small good side note:
- The team I cheer for second, the Tampa Bay Rays (not the Devil Rays), won the first game of the season and are sitting in first place all by themselves! Take that Yankees and Red Sox!

1 comment:

Ryan Claborn said...

Though they tend to use logic that doesn't make sense to the male mind, I've found that wives often have wisdom when it comes to fantasy personnel decisions.