Sunday, October 22, 2006

Wing Lady

The other day my wife and I went into Wal-Mart to grab some of those Famous Boneless Honey BBQ wings from the Deli Dept. I gained a new perspective on customer service and what is acceptable and what is forgivable. We waited in line behind two other people and when it was our turn we ordered. A nice sweet slow little old lady was the only one serving the food at that time. Emphasis on slow.


Anyways, my wife got her meal, and then I asked for some wings. It just so happened they didn’t have enough for a full portion. So, this meant she had to go to the back, get a mixing bowl, wash her hands, get gloves, get sauce, get the chicken out of the fryer, mix it up, put it in the warmer, and then put it in the container. In the amount of time it took her I could have gotten my oil changed, my hair cut, and opened a bank account all without leaving the building. I finally got the wings, and I went home and enjoyed them.


The funny part of the story is that there were 3-4 people in line behind us. Through the whole “making of the wings” process, I looked at my wife multiple times and just chuckled. I laughed, not because it was slow, but because the little old lady was completely clueless to the line that was forming. If she did see the line, which I highly doubt, it made her move no faster at all. The guy directly behind me, also thought this was funny, and realized there was nothing he could do but wait patiently.


Why is it when it takes 4 minutes to get our latte, we wonder why the 17-year old can’t make it faster. When we hold for 2 minutes when we call a company our temper rises. But when Wing Lady moves at her own pace, we can only laugh. Is it because she reminds me of everyone’s grandma, she moves at her own pace or because it would do absolutely no good to get agitated?


Go to Webb City Wal-Mart, visit the deli, try the wings. But you can’t get upset at how long it takes.

2 comments:

Balla Ben said...

I'm glad I finally stumbled upon your blog. To be honest I was a bit skeptical as to if you would ever get it going, but I'm glad to have finally be able to read those semi-daily thoughts of Chase, that I always wonder about. Thanks for allowing a look into the soul of our friend Chase with such deep conversations such as the Chatters' service debate and so forth. Keep 'em coming.

md neely said...

the deli at walmart is the bane of my existence. and wing lady is my arch nemesis.