Saturday, July 07, 2007

Ballgame Number 6 - LA Dodgers at Tampa Bay Devil Rays


Abbey and I were down in Florida about two weeks ago visiting my parents and while we were there we all went to the Devil Rays game. Anybody who know anything about baseball knows the Devil Rays are horrible (always have been) and could be considered a minor league team. Anyways, we had a blast and if I lived anywhere near Tampa Bay I would be the biggest Devil Rays fan there is. Here are my observations from the game:

  • This was the most fan friendly interactive stadium I think I have ever been to. On the lower level out in the outfield they have numerous exhibits/stations for free that you could go to whether it was looking at an actual locker room, batting cages, or the Ted Williams museum.
  • Though the Devil Rays are bad, they are doing some awesome things to attract fans to the stadium. Parking for the first 7,500 cars is free! This just blew my mind. Also, everyone who came received a free program, a free small Devil Rays cooler, and a Dale Earnhardt lanyard.
  • I like the dome. It was built in 1990 designed specifically for baseball. But the nice fact is no matter if it is raining outside or if the temperate is 100 (which it gets to in central Florida) baseball can still be played.
  • If the Devil Rays could play defense the could win some more ballgames. Numerous times did I see a catchable ball that was simply missed.
  • First time in my life I have seen back-to-back triples.
  • Nomar Garciparra did not play, but that did not stop the fans from holding up a blanket in the upper deck reading, "NO MAR ROIDS" My wife got a laugh out the sign. Maybe if Nomar had kept taking steroids when he was with the Cubs he wouldn't have been injured for the whole time he was in Chicago.
  • Derek Lowe is a great sinker ball pitcher.
  • If I lived around Tampa Bay I would have season tickets.

No comments: