Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Ballgame Number 5 - Cardinals vs. Royals



Last week, Abbey and I went up to Kansas City with our friends Eric and Torrie to watch the Cardinals play the Royals. Eric works with me at CIY, primarily with the Superstart program. Eric is a big Cardinals fan and although I do consider myself a Royals fan, I am a without a doubt an anti-Cardinals fan. Fortunately the Royals showed up and scored more runs than they probably did in the month of May. We had a great time. Anyways, here are my observations:

  • When you buy tickets from a scalper make sure you look at your tickets before you actually give them cash. The scalper said, "I got 2 and 2. I got 2 and 2 together." It was actually two together and then one single ticket and one single ticket.
  • I came within a few rows of a foul ball. I have caught a few balls during batting practice of a major league game, but this was probably the closest I have come to catching a ball during a game.
  • This was probably the fullest I have ever seen Kauffman Stadium. I have been to about 10 Royals home games, and I think the only time fans show up is when the Cardinals are in town.
  • There were probably more Royals fans than Cardinals fans, but not by many.
  • A scalper will say whatever he can to get you to buy his tickets. At first he made it clear that the game was sold out (which it was not - not even close) and we would not be able to get tickets anywhere else. Then the next line (trying to sell us on the 2 and 2 together) was that all you need is the ticket and then you would be able to sit anywhere because there won't be that many people in the lower section.
  • The Royals raise their prices on tickets, parking, etc. when the Cardinals come to town. I guess they know these are the three games a year that people come to.
  • The Cardinals looked bad. The Cardinals looked old. You wonder how long Edmonds and Rolen will be around.
  • I know this is the only game I have seen the Royals in person this year, but they actually looked like a baseball team. They hit the ball.
  • Alex Gordon, the Royals next top prospect, didn't start the season too hot but looked like he could hit and did well in the game.
  • The Royals need to put my on salary and take me to all their games. In my lifetime I have seen the Royals play 8 times against the Rangers (2), Red Sox, Athletics, and Cardinals (4). The Royals have won 7 times. Give me a contract.
  • QuikTrip is amazing. The hot dogs are better at QT than they are at the stadium. You need to try their new Coffee Cappuccino Frozen Milkshake drinks.

No comments: