Saturday, June 14, 2008

It's Not about Me - Teen Edition

The second book I read from the MOVE station is It's Not about Me, Teen Edition by Max Lucado. I'll be honest, I haven't read a Max Lucado book since I was a sophomore in college 6 or 7 years ago. From what I remember, his books were easy and quick reads. So, you can image what I was thinking when I picked up a "Teen Edition" book he has authored.

There are 14 chapters in book divided into 2 sections, God-Pondering and God-Promoting. The first half (God-pondering) is truly about recognizing who we are in God's plan, dealing with our internal and external struggles, and grasping that God's hand is never changing and His love is great. The second half (God-promoting) is how to put this into action. The chapter that stood out to me was chapter 8 and the way we live is a reflection (like a mirror) of the light of God.

Lucado did a good job of truly making this a teen book. There is an example in every chapter on every topic (set-up similar like a news story) of a student in high school or college. There was a lot of scripture, and the concepts were easy to understand and foundational.

The part that I haven't decided is good or bad, is that he used various different translations, but many times the passages that were drawn out were from The Message.

The way I would suggest a high school student to read this book is like a devotional. There are 14 chapters and at the end of each chapter there is a question and then space to journal. The chapters are fairly short with lots of examples. This would also be an easy book for a small group to go through together.

On a side note, there was a mention of the Summer Olympics in one of the chapters, which made me look forward to watching some of the games this summer.

No comments: