Thursday, February 01, 2007

Make the process as hard as possible


This past week I received a notice in the mail letting me know that I needed to renew my tags for my vehicle. No big deal, right? WRONG. This was one of the most annoying and not customer friendly processes I have dealt with in a long time.

On the notice to renew in big bold letters - "Three Easy Ways to Renew!" Man were they lying. The first was by mail, the second was online, and the third was in person. I was somewhat skeptical already about it being easy, so I thought I would choose the path of least resistance and go in person. This way I could know I got it done, get my sticker for my tag and go home.

I showed up to office, handed over my form and asked who I needed to make the check out to. She takes a look at the form and then looks at me, "Do you have your insurance form?"
"It is in my car, I will go get it."
"Do you have your car inspection form?"
Because I have owned my car less than a year, it was inspected last year - surely I didn't have to go again this year. Oh no, because my car is a '99 I have to get it inspected every odd year from here on out. But the inspection is not the last thing I need.

I also need to go get a personal property tax receipt. The wonderful lady at the DMV then informs me of the process to get the receipt. Here you go (kinda like choose your own adventure):
- Go to the Jasper County Courthouse. If you have already paid go to room 107 for a receipt, if you have not paid go to room 207.
- I had not paid, so 207 here I come. I stand in line for a while, make it to the counter, tell the lady my name, she looks something up on a computer, takes a scratch piece of paper, scribbles down about 7 numbers and then tells me to go to room 107.
- In room 107, I wait in another line, hand the scrap piece of paper to a guy who goes and looks something else up on a computer.
- Now I write my check to the County Collector. I ask who to make it out to (expecting "Jasper County Collector") and I make the check out to "Steve Holt." I know he is the County Collector, but it would make me feel (1) safer, (2) like I am not living in redneck Missouri, and (3) nobody could embezzle money if I could make it out to something official, instead of an individual.
Now I have my receipt, next is the inspection.

Please is whatever business you are in, please make the process as stinkin' hard as you can for the consumer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh yes - the beautiful process of renewing the liscense plate. I remember this exact same process when I lived in Joplin. I'm sad to say that the Illinois process is not much better. Here you have to go to one place to get a Driver's Liscense, and another to get your plates. Pretty dumb!

-Daniel Shelton