Friday, September 29, 2006

Jr. High Kids in the Northwest



I just got done meeting with as many jr. high pastors in the Portland, OR/Vancouver, WA area as I could in 2 days. I left my house at 2.45 in the am yesterday morning and I will return at about 10.30 in the am tomorrow morning (after flying the red-eye). It has been a crazy two days, but I wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

I have had the chance to meet about 10 different youth ministers all of which are directly involved with jr. high kids. Andy has been at his church two weeks. Grant's jr. high weekly service was yesterday afternoon. I heard him speak on forgiveness. Tony told me about how he dressed up like Rudolph the red-nosed Reindeer a few weeks ago. Jon is serving in the same church he grew up in. Jonathon has one semester left of seminary. Matt is in a great church. Casey has a passion for ministry.

Highlights - Sitting in a coffee shop which is part of a hotel (where I stayed last night), both owned by a church. All profit from either go directly to the church to ministering to the community. Eating fresh Mahi Mahi on the Washington river bank. Going to the largest bookstore in my life. Hearing ways to improve Believe straight from the hearts of those attending. Praying with and for youth ministers.

No matter where I go or who I talk to a few things remain constant. Small Groups and their leaders are important. Jr. High kids just want to be loved. It is about relationships.

No comments: