Monday, October 20, 2008

the day I almost gave up sports

I almost gave up sports for the rest of the calendar year 2008. But then the Rays decided to show up in the ALCS.

For the last two weeks, every team I cheer for has been not playing to potential and losing. There are so many things that have gone wrong with sports over the last two weeks, I made a vow after the Red Sox came back in Game 5, that if the Sox somehow won the ALCS, I was not going to watch another sporting event in 2008. Here is a small portion of everything that has gone wrong:
  • The Cubs got absolutely destroyed in the NLDS to the Dodgers. They played amazing in the regular season and then didn't even show up in the playoffs and lost 3 straight. The Cubs are horrible.
  • The Auburn Tigers are pitiful. They have lost their last two to Vanderbilt and Arkansas. Granted, Vanderbilt is not looking too bad this year (haven't really played anyone yet), but Arkansas is horrible. Auburn fired their offensive coordinator and they have no offense. They beat Miss. St. 3-2. That's right, 3-2. A two run home run and a RBI double. Soccer scores are higher than that. The only thing left I care about with Auburn this year is that they beat Alabama (and chances of that are slim).
  • It is currently the worst college football poll in the history of anything. Texas is ranked #1, and Alabama is ranked #2. I absolutely despise Alabama (being an Auburn fan), and I can't stand anything about Texas (being an Oklahoma fan, which I inherited from my wife). I have said the only time I would ever cheer for Texas would be if they played Alabama. I hope the world comes to end before that ever comes to reality.
  • My church softball team is 0-6 and we lost 2 games last week with scores of 24-4, and 34-6. Tonight starts the tournament. I am not expecting for us to go to far.
If the Rays had lost the series to the Red Sox after being up 7 runs and only 7 outs away from the World Series, I was swearing off watching sports this year. Fortunately, it did not happen. I can watch sports.

1 comment:

Ryan Claborn said...

I trust you'll be wearing true orange on Saturday in hopes that the Cowboys can somehow upend the 'horns? As an OU fan, you've pretty much got to hope O-State beats Texas if OU wants a shot at the division, conference, and/or national title.